White Bean Cassoulet
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 pork sausages, cut in half or thirds
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 4 oz double-smoked bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry great northern beans
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 cups croutons, homemade
- The night before, soak white beans in a pot with 1" of water over top. On the day of, drain before using.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well, then remove from pan and set aside.
- In this pan, brown sausages well, then set aside with the onion. Brown chicken thighs, adding to the sausages and onion.
- Sauté diced bacon, then transfer all ingredients except garnish to a slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 7–8 hours. Before serving, garnish with chopped parsley and croutons.
- Can also be made in a dutch oven. Bake at 350ºF for 1 1/2–2 hours, then sprinkle parsley and croutons (or breadcrumbs) and baking uncovered for 10–15 minutes.