- 8–9 quarts small green cucumbers
- 2 cups coarse salt
- 1 tsp alum powder
- 2 quart vinegar
- 12 cups white sugar
- 4 tbsp mixed pickling spices, tied in a bag
- Wash cucumbers and put in a crock. Cover with 1 gallon of boiling water and coarse salt. Leave for one week, stirring daily.
- Drain and add 1 gallon of boiling water, and leave for 24 hours.
- On day 8, drain and add 1 gallon boiling water and the alum powder. Leave for 24 hours.
- On day 9, drain and slice cucumbers. Boil vinegar, sugar and spices, and pour this over the pickles in the crock. Leave for 24 hours.
- Drain and reheat the liquid each day for 4 more days.
- On day 14, drain the liquid and boil once more. Transfer the pickle slices to sterilized jars, and pour the liquid to 1/4" of jar opening. Seal.