Diane & Dan’s Bread and Pizza Dough
Servings 4 loaves
The enriched dough makes amazing dinner rolls.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 10 cups flour, divided
- 2 packets quickrise yeast
- Scald the milk in a saucepan
- Pour the milk into a large bowl (such as bowl of rotary stand mixer) and add the sugar, salt, shortening, water, and sugar, stirring until the shortening melts. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- In another bowl, add the yeast to 5 cups of the flour and evenly mix.
- Pour this into the wet mixture, and blend using a rotary mixture to beat vigorously until you can see that gluten has formed. It will look thick and it will be sticky.
- Using a spoon, gradually beat in another 4 1/2 to 5 cups of flour. Work in the last of the flour using a rotating motion by hand.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 15 minutes covered with a towl in a warm spot.
- Punch down and form into loaves or pizza crusts. Place in well greased containers, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Ahead of the completing rising time, preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes.