Chicken with Mole Sauce
Servings 12 people
Enjoy big Mayan flavours from the comfort of home. Wholesome spicyness feeds the soul.
- 12 thighs chicken, bone in, skin removed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomtoes, drained
- 1 medium onion
- 2 dried ancho chilis
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisons
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- bunch fresh cilantro, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt; place in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Combine mole ingredients in a food processor and process until blended.
- Pour the blended mole over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is tender; skim fat.
- Serve the chicken with thesauce and sprinkle liberally with fresh cilantro.
- Cool chicken in the mole sauce.Freeze in containers. To use, partially thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet or Dutch oven until a the thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 165°, stirring ocasionally and adding water or broth if necessary.