Pickled Red Onion
- 100 ml water
- 100 ml white vinegar
- 20 g sugar, (a little over 1.5 tbsp)
- 2 g salt, (1/3 tsp)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced pole-to-pole
- Stir together water, vinegar, sugar, salt and any additional spices you like (see notes).
- Bring to boil in a small saucepan while you thinly slice the red onion.
- Once boiling, add all of the onion, stir to ensure it's fully coated, and turn off the heat.
- Allow to cool until warm, and transfer to a jar. Seal tightly, and put in the fridge once room temperature.
- Add spices to enhance the pickle. We like whole coriander seeds, whole peppercorns, chili flakes, and fennel.
- This quick pickle will keep well in the fridge, in a sealed container, for many weeks, if it lasts that long. As it cools, the red colour will fully stain the onions a bright pink.
- This is a sweet pickle. You can swap the amounts of salt and sugar for a salt pickle for other vegetables, like cauliflower, cucumber, green beans, and more.