Servings 60 cookies
- 1 lb bittersweet choclate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fine white sugar
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 2 tbl cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar for rolling cookies, fine or coarse sugar
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Heat in one minute increments until melted and smooth
- Add the vanilla and orange extracts to chocolate
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixture to beat the sugar and eggs until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens into smooth ribbons that fall from the beater. This should take no more than 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together ground almonds and cocoa powder
- Add the melted chocolate, ground almond mixture to the eggs and sugar. Fold together with a rubber spatula until everything is combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (or overnight)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour rolling sugar into a small bowl. Scoop out tablespoons of the dough and roll into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar and arrange on the baking sheet 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to rack to cool.