Servings 16 slices
Be sure to use overripe bananas for best results. Feel free to add chopped nuts, chocolate, cinnamon, or other flavourings.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs, large
- 1 1/2 cups Mashed overripe bananas
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Cream butter and sugar together in another bowl, until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well to incorporate each completely.
- Add the remaining three ingredients to the wet mixture, and stir well. Add all of this to the dry mixture, and stir until just moistened.
- Spread into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch (22 x 12.5 x 7.5 cm) loaf pan. Bake in the centre of a 350ºF oven for 55–60 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to stand in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.