Lemon Thyme Shortbread Cookies
Prep Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 2 hours
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- Beat the butter and 3/4 cup powdered sugar together until smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and vanilla to the mixture, mixing again until combined.
- In a separate bowl, soft the flour, salt, lemon zest, and thyme leaves. Slowly add this to the buttercream until just combined.
- Roll the dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface to 1/4″ thickness. Use cooking cutters to cut the dough into desired shapes, and place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, then allow to cool.
- To make icing, combine the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar with remaining 2 tbsp lemon juice. Ice and garnish with extra thyme if desired.