Christmas Morning Strata
Servings 8 servings
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 slices bread
- butter, to coat bread
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 8 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- Butter both sides of the bread, laying them in a greased 9″ x 13″ pan, and top with the ham and cheese.
- Combine the flour and mustard and sprinkle over top.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and pour over everything. There should be enough liquid for the bread and flour to be well soaked.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Bake uncovered at 350ºF for an hour.
- You should have enough slices to cover the bottom of the pan, add or reduce the number of slices as needed based on their size.
- Some variations of this recipe include cuping the bread and mixing with the ham and cheese, but we’ve opted for this simpler version, as it seems to have no effect in taste or texture.